Friday, October 26, 2007

Call Me Ishmael

No Wait, call me impatient. Because I can't wait any longer. I'd love to have an agent. A good agent. A really good agent. But so many of them are so slow. I know, I know, they're busy, their desks and their New York lives are full, full, full. But that doesn't make it any easier on my waiting end to hear back from the four who still haven't replied to my queries.

I could send partials or queries out to another handful or two, and play the waiting game yet somemore, or I could just take the proverbial bull by the horns and scoot my ms. off to editors.

I'm choosing the latter.

It's hard to break into publication with an agent, even harder (sometimes) without one, but I'm going to go for it solo anyway. I did that with my last book after running out of patience. That ms. generated a lot of interest, even if it didn't sell. I figure the editors who liked my writing then (although not enough to buy it, darn it) might just like my writing again (fingers crossed here).

So, I took out my latest work last night and critiqued it. Critiqued it hard. Self-doubt crept in and I stayed up until after midnight combing over the first 50 pages to make them sparkle (hopefully).

Next week I'll be ready to fire that baby off. Woo-hoo!!!

2 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Go for it! Nothing gets bought by sitting in your computer and never seeing the light of day.

I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed that it hits the right editor on the right day and the moon is in the correct alignment! LOL Actually, your writing will pull them in and hook them. Good luck!

Danita Cahill said...

Thanks for the crossed digits and the words of encouragement, Paty. I appreciate both!