Saturday, February 10, 2007

Writing and the Flu

My DH and I have both been incredibly sick with the flu virus going around. It's a doozie. Yuck. Trying to work through it, and having the DH home on top of it has been a real challenge. I did manage to write at least a page or two on my WIP most days -- which is probably all a bunch of crap and will wind up in the delete bin, but at least it was writing -- and I did get through one scene that was holding me up, so for that I feel grateful.

In the meantime I was commisioned by one of the newspapers I used to work for to write three features for an upcoming magazine insert. I did manage to pull off an interview and get one of them written Thursday, so that is a good feeling of accomplishment.

The feature assignments are fun. I just ask normal, everyday people what is the most amazing aspect of their lives, or the most amazing thing that's ever happened to them. I turn their answers into 300-word stories, include a bio-box of personal information such as family, birth date, occupation, hobbies etc... and take some photos. One main photo and a secondary. Since I'm a freelance photographer as well as a writer, this is no problem.

Anyway, flu is finally ebbing. DH is back to work after 13 days off...and life is starting to feel normal again.

May you all stay healthy, happy and writing!

2 comments:

Paty Jager said...

I'm glad things are better at your house. I've been knocking on wood that we stay healthy.

Keep writing - I need more to read!

Danita Cahill said...

Thanks, Paty.

I kept writing through the flu, although it was only half a page or a page a day. I'm working on chapter nine now. This section of the book is full of holes, so instead of just revisions, a lot of it is coming from scratch. I am almost to the halfway mark and the big plot point.

I'm glad you didn't catch the bug. Of course you had something awhile back...
The DOGS. The evil, feral awful dogs.